CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Thursday 28 August 2008

10 things I am Grateful for in China

  • Bicycles. I never ever in my whole life thought I would be grateful for bikes. WAB is a huge school that takes forever to walk around. I am so grateful for the complimentary bicycles scattered all around the school.
  • That the Olympics are over! As wonderful as they were, I am looking forward to moving into my new apartment on Saturday. I am also glad of no more firework displays that shake the house and wake the children.
  • My Ayi has finally made up her mind! My Ayi (home help) decided that the hours we wanted her to work were not the hours she wanted to work. To cut a long story short - lots of negotiations between her and us and a translator (even though she apparently speaks English) ..... finally it is all sorted. She starts Monday - YAY
  • I saw the Great Wall! Words can not express how amazing it is. Mind you ask the girls and the highlight of the trip was the toboggan down.


  • That the girls are happy! They have made some awesome friends and they seem to like the lifestyle in China - especially the park across the road and the balls on the lake.



  • FRUIT!!!!! The fruit here is delicious and cheap - we are all peached out this week.

  • I got to see at least one Olympic Event! Paul went to the Soccer, and the Volleyball, but the highlight was the Women's Basketball Final - yes we lost, but it was still such a fun night!

  • My husband is not shy! At the basketball wore his green and gold wig and his Australian flag as a cape. He then had to pose for at least 40 photos with complete strangers. He complained that at times he was surrounded by people but I know he secretly loved it!



  • I can buy Aussie products. I bought Sanitarium Ceral last week - it did cost me $7 a box, but it was worth it! In fact I have been generally pleased with the shopping and there seems o be a good mix of Aussie and American products. Meat here is not so good, but I will not start on that little saga except to say - slabs of cement, no refridgeration and breathe through your mouth!
  • Claudia likes to use squatty potties!!!!!!!!! Amazing, one out of the 4 of us likes it. For me it is still a lesson in balance and holding one's breath. It is surprising how long I can hold on when I have to.

2 comments:

Helena said...

Those balls look cool!

I came to prefer the squatters (in Korea, I mean), at least in public restrooms. You don't have to touch anything.

Jivin' Jacobsens said...

Hilarious!

I agree with your assessment about squatters...and peeing on your shoe is just not cool.

By the way, Paul, I LOVE the wig! Miss you guys! xoxox