CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Monday 11 February 2008

Keeping updated.

Well we are all still sick, but the girls are getting better. Paul now has the flu, and funny he seems so much worse than the rest of us - hmmmm. Must be that modern medical marvel - the Man Cold. In his defense, he did take fantastic care of us all. I seem to have bronchitus ( Ican't spell, I teach art!) and am now on some antibiotics, which are helping me feel much better.



No more sick talk. I have some photos from our trip to the Markets before we all got sick. We have just discovered this market hidden away in an alley. They sell lots of fresh fruit and veges, meats and other strange items that are required in Korean cooking. Here are some of my snaps.

Some people buy there meat here - we have and it is always good quality and fresh. This is sulgogi meat which is usually used in Galbi (Korean BBQ). I also have a recipe to cook this one at home and it is good. Don't be mistaken, some of that meat may look like bacon - oh no it is not. It may be the same cut as bacon, but is not smoked!


This is just a small selection of the different types of Kimchi available. some is good, some is ok. Some is just plain nasty. If it is red, it is really hot! I used to think Kimchi was only for cabbage but there are so many varieties. I think it is like pickling here. Anyway there are many varieties - below is Claudia's face when we suggested she try some Kimchi!


This is dduck (not a typo). Dduck is a pastry made from rice. It is chewy and really good. These snacks are soooooo good. Inside each little ball is a mixture of honey and sesamie seed. Koran's eat these on special occasions.

I have idea what the Korean name for these fish is but the Ciempka's call them penis fish. Gosh I wonder why? Anyway you can order them at most Seaafood restaurants. You will be able to tell what is a seafood restaurant in Korea, it is the shop surrounded by fish tanks. You then choose whcih seafood you want and it is cooked to order. I am thinking I may never have the courage to eat one of these little buggars.

These are dried little fish that they make into a salad side dish. I made the fatal mistake of trying this salad once - I think it is what Whiskars may takes like but only crunchy. Anyway cool photo - revolting to eat.



I love this shot of Em, a bit out of focus, but cute. She is trying to run away from me as I try to take her photo. I love it because she looks so sweet and innocent admist a all the business of the market.







7 comments:

Angela2932 said...

Cool pictures! I just was checking your site to see if we're actually in the same place (you left a message on my site!) And I don't think so, if you're in Korea! I love the quote you have on your blog and you have EXTREMELY interesting "ramblings" (as you called it!) PS. . . nice to meet you in the blogosphere!

Anonymous said...

Okay Claudia and I would so be friends I thought the same thing about Kimchi when we lived there. Although my dh and kiddos liked it. Galbi is my dh favorite as long as cooked traditionaly.

Kristina said...

Those photos of the food make me feel like I'm in Asia! Thanks for sharing.

Lauren Hartman said...

Love, love, love all these cool foods, thanks so much for sharing them with us! I love that picture of your daughter as well, what a great capture!

Bobbi said...

Wow, these are cool pictures! The strawberries look so yummy.

Stacey said...

Great photos! Such interesting food!!

Anonymous said...

Those are great photos and make me feel like I am there...that one fish though...gross!
Cari