CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Monday 11 June 2007

6 sleeps to go.

I am writing this at home today as Claudia is sick on the couch. She has really high fevers and is eating nothing. Normally I would be quite excited about the fact that I have a day off, but as we only have 6 sleeps till we leave for Shanghai and then home, I am a bit nervous. As we know when the Corky gets sick, she doesn't do it simply. I am especially annoyed as it is hot as in the aparment and I am not allowed to have the air con on as she is freezing -mind you she is in winter pjs, under a blanket and it is at least 27 degrees in here!




I've just popped in some snaps from our journeys. I love each of these shots as they are so typical of Korea and the images we see here. It is busy and messy and dirty and yet beautiful and exciting all in one. Paul thinks I am crazy and I can't explain it, but there is something here. in Korea that I makes me feel comfortable and at home.

It is summer fruit time and that excites me no end as we have been living off bananas for weeks. I am not sure why but here they only seem to have maybe three different types of fruit available at a time in the shops at at a time. Forever it was apples, grapes and madarines; now bananas, grapes and Korean melon (yummy), but I was so excited the other week when I found cherries and rasberries. The rasberries weren't too expensive, but the cherries were over $20 a kilo! Oh, watermelon is here too at the moment, but I paid $15 the other day for a smallish one - not cheap! It is really expensive to buy fruit and veges at the supermarket, most people go to the markets, or buy them off the back of a truck. It is so funny beacuse you will be walking down a street and behind you there will be someone yelling at you in Korean. It took me a while to realise that they were selling fruit. They usually only have one type, and it is the cheapest method for getting your fruit. It is usually good quality though. You will also often see old ladies at the train station or a major intersection selling fruit in buckets. It is usually fruit they have grown themselves.
I have at times bought from street sellers, but I then panic and worry the whole time that I will get sick from it, so I do't often do it.
Where the old dears grow their veges is amazing. Along the side of the road, next too foot paths, everywhere there isn't concrete. On our walk to school there is a lady who grows all these veges beside the footpath. Paul and I liked to watch what she planted and how it was growing till one day we saw what she used for fertilizer - lets just say she made it herself! Anyway that put an end to me buying from the ladies on the street!




0 comments: